Domestic Violence - Your Rights

Your Rights in Relation to Domestic Violence

Under F.S.S. 741.28,Domestic Violence is defined as any assault, battery, sexual assault, sexualbattery, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of onefamily or household member by another, who is or was residing in the samesingle dwelling unit.

"Family or household member" means spouse, former spouse, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together, as if a family, or whohave resided together in the past, as if a family, and persons who have a childin common regardless of whether they have been married or have resided togetherat any time.

If you have been abused physically or sexually, or if you have reason to fear that you may become avictim of Domestic Violence, this law enables you to file for a Petition for Injunction through a judge to stop the abuse.

The paper to start this process is called a Petition for Injunction for Protection Against DomesticViolence. This explains your situation to the judge and tells the court from whom you need protection.

To file for an injunction, you must go in person to the Orange County Court House at 425 N.Orange Ave, Orlando. There you will be assisted in completing the proper forms by the Domestic Relations Division of the Clerk of the Court.

Restraining OrderProcedures: Also known as Injunctions or Order of Protection
A domestic violence restraining order is a court document which states that a particular person must not have contact with another person.

You may petition for a restraining order if you meet the requirements, and have recently been the victim of abuse and/or threat of abuse by the abuser.

To file for a restraining order, you must go in person to the Orange County Courthouse at 425N. Orange Avenue #520, Orlando. A Harbor House representative will assist youin completing the form and statements. In Orange County, the Sheriff's Office has Domestic Service Violence Squad that can assist you.--Please call 407-724-7000.